Mark Davies’ corpora at Kielipankki – The Language Bank of Finland
If you are a researcher affiliated to a Finnish university with a HAKA account, the Language Bank can offer you the full text data of the corpora listed below.
Access to all of the downloadable corpora listed below is restricted. For a description including license, please see the metadata. To obtain access, please submit an application via the Language Bank Rights.
External corpus services by Mark Davies at english-corpora.org: Academic license for users from the University of Helsinki
- The services at english-corpora.org include an interface for searching a number of corpora, particularly corpora in the English language but also many other languages. The search interface is somewhat different from the Korp service at the Language Bank.
- The downloadable versions of the corpora offered via the Language Bank (listed above) essentially include the same content that was available via the online service at https://www.english-corpora.org at the time of acquiring the corpora.
- In addition to the specific downloadable versions corpora (listed above), an academic license is available for students and staff at the University of Helsinki for using the online services for accessing corpora at https://www.english-corpora.org. The academic license is valid during the years 2022–2026 for logged-in students and faculty members at the University of Helsinki. Instructions for joining the academic license are provided below.
- Please note that the corpus service at english-corpora.org is not part of FIN-CLARIN or the Language Bank of Finland.
NB: In case you only wish to use the downloadable corpora via the Language Bank of Finland, you do not need to complete the academic license procedure below. Note that the downloadable versions of the corpora will remain for download in the Language Bank even after the academic license to use the online service has expired.
To benefit from the academic license as a student or researcher at the University of Helsinki, you may do the following:
- Log in at https://www.english-corpora.org/. (If accessing the service for the first time, you need to create a user account first.)
- Click on the link ”select your university (if applicable)”.
- Answer the question about your status as a faculty member or student.
- Select your country from the drop-down list.
- On the list of organizations, click on the link that says ”University of Helsinki”, to join the academic license.
- If this does not work for you, please check the current list of academic licenses to see if your own home organization offers extended access to english-corpora.org.
If you fulfilled the criteria for the academic license, you should be able to perform up to 200 searches per day if you are a student, and 400 searches per day if you are a faculty member.
Citation practices regarding corpora at english-corpora.org
The corpus architecture and web interface at english-corpora.org/ (and many of the corpora that are available there) were created by Mark Davies and/or other parties. Further details on how to cite their corpora, licensing, technical features etc. can be found at https://www.english-corpora.org/faq.asp#cite.
This page has a Persistent Identifier: http://urn.fi/urn:nbn:fi:lb-201711061