The BYU corpora at Kielipankki – The Language Bank of Finland
If you are a researcher affiliated to a Finnish university with a Haka acount, the Language Bank can offer you the full text data of the Brigham Young University corpora listed below.
Access to all of the downloadable corpora listed below is restricted. For a description including license, please see the metadata. To obtain access, please submit an application via the Language Bank Rights.
BYU corpus service: Academic license offered by FIN-CLARIN
- In addition to a number of specific downloadable versions of some BYU corpora that are listed above, FIN-CLARIN offers an academic license for using the online service at https://www.english-corpora.org. The academic license is valid during the years 2022–2026 for logged-in students and faculty members from academic organizations located in Finland.
- Note that the BYU corpus service at english-corpora.org is not part of FIN-CLARIN or the Language Bank of Finland.
- The BYU service includes an interface for searching a number of corpora, particularly corpora in the English language but also many other languages. The search interface is somewhat different from the Korp service at the Language Bank. However, the downloadable versions in the Language Bank contain the same content that was available via the BYU service at the time of acquiring the corpora.
NB: In case you only wish to use the downloadable corpora in the Language Bank of Finland, you do not need to complete the BYU academic license procedure below. Note that the downloadable versions of the corpora will remain for download in the Language Bank after the academic license to use the online service expires.
To benefit from the FIN-CLARIN license, you may do the following:
- Log in at https://www.english-corpora.org/. (If accessing the service for the first time, you need to create a user account first.)
- Click on the link ”select your university (if applicable)”.
- Answer the question about your status as a faculty member or student.
- Select your country from the drop-down list.
- On the list of organizations, click on the link that says ”FIN-CLARIN”, to join the academic license.
If you fulfilled the criteria for the academic license, you should be able to do up to 200 searches per day if you are a student, and 400 searches per day if you are a faculty member.
Details and citation practices regarding the online corpus service provided via Brigham Young University
The corpus architecture and web interface at BYU (and many of the corpora that are available there) were created by Mark Davies and/or other parties. Further details on how to cite the individual corpora located on the BYU service, their licensing, technical features etc. can be found at https://www.english-corpora.org/faq.asp#cite